2008/04/09

Punch a Tree Hugger

I'm not usually inclined to resort to violence to solve domestic political disputes. Well, not yet, anyway. However, if the same thing happens here that's happening in Germany, I might be persuaded otherwise. I can overlook a lot of things, but fucking around with the price of beer is going to get me mad, especially when the price goes up so dumbasses can feel good about chasing a fantasy.

Look, ethanol from corn and other foodstuffs is a stupid idea for any number of reasons. Let's start with the most basic and intuitively obvious: it's dumb to burn food. You find inedible things to burn, and eat food. The energy balance numbers also don't work out very well. You're only getting a marginal amount of energy back over what you out going by the most generous estimates. The net reduction in emissions is negligible, either. All things considered, it's just a bad idea.

It was a bad idea before, and now the market distortions are starting to come home to roost. I hope somebody has the political capital to start fixing the problem, because my beer's expensive enough.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan in Lille said...

Seriously...I am already having a rough day and now I read THIS?! One of the only things getting me through this transition to France is the good beer here. If prices go up I might have to give up something less important. Like apples or bottled water.

6:10 AM  
Blogger T said...

Things I learned in college and the army: when the choice is food or beer, pick beer. You'll still be hungry, but you'll care a whole lot less.

Yeah, you're up by the Belgians who make some of the bestest beer ever. Try a framboise lambic if you like raspberries.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home