2006/01/11

I’m Not Annoying You On Purpose

Has anyone been following the changes made to federal law by Sen. Specter (R-Ignunt) slipping some codicil into an appropriations bill? As I understand this, it is now a crime to use a telecommunications device, not disclose your identity and and intend to “annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person”. While I hear the idea is to extend criminal provisions applying to phone calls to VoIP, the statute appears to be overbroad. I’m not the only one who thinks so.

As I have no desire to go to jail, mainly because it would interfere with my attempts to become the World Champion in Speed Crocheting, I have made an editorial policy change here at YPS. Henceforth, let it be known to all and sundry that we have no intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any person, not even Ted Kennedy. We simply intend to provide our readers with commentary and analysis of the events, persons, items, and ideas we find interesting. Our intent is to entertain and edify you, our reader. Any such annoyance, abuse, threats or harassment would be simply a wholly unintended side effect of our primary goal.

So remember: if you’re annoyed by anything you read here, it wasn’t on purpose. Think of it as an accident, and we’ll all get along just fine. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home