2006/05/23

Congressional Follies

In other political news, a Louisiana congressman is caught taking bribes. So in a stunning bit of news, the FBI searches his office. From the way some congresscritters are carrying on, you’d think the Constitution was crumbling before our very eyes. You’ll pardon me if I don’t cry a river about this nonsense or get particularly alarmed.

Firstly, I am under the impression that in the American system of government, the Legislative branch makes the laws and the Executive branch enforces them. So if bribery is illegal, who is going to investigate that? Hint: it’s not Congress.

Secondly, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anyone in Congress who complains about how the FBI handles search warrants. Out here in real America, if a federal agency shows up at my door with a warrant, I can damn near guarantee that it will be a full tactical raid. A bunch of guys in suits is far preferable to what will show up at my door if some alphabet agency decides I’m of interest. I can’t muster up a whole lot of caring given that the asshats in Congress are the ones that allow goons with guns to kick in doors in the middle of the night on the basis of the flimsiest of excuses.

Spare me the hand-wringing, okay? If you’re caught dead to rights on tape taking bribes or smoking crack, nobody should stand up and say your office can’t be searched. You are under indictment. You are lucky they didn’t take every scrap of paper out of your office. Complaining about the kid glove treatment Rep. Jefferson (D-For Hire) got by the FBI just displays a mentality of being above the law. It’d be a little different if the FBI was combing through all 535 offices on a fishing trip. Based on what’s been released, I’d say they have probable cause. Obviously, some judge did, too. There is no reason whatsoever his office should not have been searched. Insisting on some bogus constitutional exception to the law simply makes the "culture of corruption" problem look even more widespread. What’s the problem, are all of you so guilty that you don’t want the FBI in the building? Is that it?

In the meantime, when even uber-donk apologist extraordinaire James Carville can’t find an explanation for the behavior, you’re through. We all know if there was some semi-plausible explanation, Carville would have offered it up. Hell, I’m surprised he didn’t whip out some crap about how Jefferson believes banks support the system of racism so the money stays in the fridge, instead.

Personally, I’m just waiting for a repeat of two of the greatest moments in recent political history. I’m waiting for the explanation that involves either Jews or the phrase "Bitch set me up." Who’s taking bets? I’ll give odds on those two, plus extra points if we can get a witch hunt or a stifling of dissent out of the whole mess.

Big hat tip to Bitter for the Carville link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home