2010/08/17

Late and The Pot

So, yesterday was National Airborne Day. I simply neglected to mention it, as I was drinking Jack & Cokes much like I did when I was a young paratrooper. Unlike that time, I stopped after two. Anyhow, fire up the Wayback Machine, set it for yesterday, and say something nice to anyone you know who threw themselves from an aircraft in flight for the benefit of the US military. A drink might not be amiss, either.

Now that I have once again demonstrated conclusively that I am a lazy bastard, (I mean seriously, I couldn't get off my dead ass and post three sentences about National Airborne day yesterday? Slacker. How on earth did I ever finish, well, anything?) , let's move on to today's topic: rice. Roger Ebert wrote a post some time ago on the glories of using a rice cooker for rice and so much more. There is a subset of the populace, to which Roger apparently belongs, which thinks a rice cooker is some magical creation that can cook everything under the sun. I don't have any serious argument with this on the face of things, except maybe the magic part. A rice cooker is not complicated. At the most basic form it's a heater, a pot, and a thermostat. It works thusly: heat pot until temperature in pot rises past 212 degrees F, then turn heat off (or down). Not much magic involved. Basically, though, it's pot with a built-in heating element. I'm sure you can do lots of things with this, just like you can with a crock pot.

I don't have any personal experience with a rice cooker for one simple reason: I can cook rice. I don't see much need for a dedicated appliance, even if can do all the wonderful things Roger claims. I've failed at rice once in recent memory, and that was trying to cook rice for 100. That didn't go so well, but I don't think a rice cooker would have helped. The quantities got a bit too large, and scaling took over with a vengeance. Other than that, though, it's not usually difficult. Pot, rice, water, boil, turn down, simmer 25 minutes, serve. It's worked pretty well for me for a number of years now, and only requires minor tweaking for the stovetop involved.

I'm currently trying to scale back the number of things in my house, not add more. So no matter how useful Mr. Ebert thinks a rice cooker is, it ain't going on the wish list any time soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home