2004/12/08

More Books

Barnes & Noble, in a shameless attempt to get me to buy more books, sent me a 10% off coupon in addition to my 10% Reader’s Advantage discount. Amazon is still generally cheaper, but the whole impulse buy factor is not to be overrated. I also find some types of books I like to preview before I buy, and the pathetic selection of pages offered by Amazon doesn’t usually cut it. So I spent too much money in the bookstore last night. What did I get?

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell – I was originally looking for the second volume of Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle, The Confusion. B&N had the first volume and the third. I guess that need to get the center of the story is obsessive of me. I picked this up as a consolation prize, since I hear good things from a variety of sources. I just hope it’s not the opening volume of a trilogy or some such nonsense. I am trying to keep away from starting any more unfinished series of doorstops. I’m already working on the Wheel of Time and the Song of Ice and Fire. Those two should keep me occupied for quite some time. I started reading the Wheel of Time when I was sitting around in the desert during the first Gulf War. How ridiculous is that? I think it’s well past time to quit flogging that poor beast and just put it out of its misery.

Blood Enemy - J wanted it, I was already spending money, what the hell. The movie was fun, why not a book?

Everything You Know Is Wrong - A hardback edition from Barnes & Noble Press. It promises to be something fun to feed the conspiracy junkie in me. I’m interested in some of the articles on education, but the rest of it will be entertaining, I’m sure.

Cakes, Cookies, Pies and Tarts - It was marked down to 7 dollars. Williams-Sonoma cookbooks are always gorgeous to look at, even if the recipes are often way too much work. There’s one or two that looked worth trying, so we’ll see if I get the chance over the holidays.

Watchmen - A classic of the field that needed to be on the bookshelf.

Did I mention that we went in there to buy a completely different book as a gift for someone? It was out of stock, darn the luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home