2009/01/20

Cynics Unite

So, despite my best attempts to avoid the self-congratulatory circle jerk in DC today, I appear to have failed. Here's the speech. There's a lot of useless dreck, a lot of lip service to our totems and icons, and a whole bunch of no particulars. Come to think of it, it's just like the campaign. My favorite tidbit so far:
What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them, that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long, no longer apply.
Really? The endless contention about what the government should be doing and how much it's going to cost and who should pay for it? Those arguments are over?

Bet not. Given some of his appointments, I'm guessing some of the arguments that had simmered down lately are gonna flare back up. I am once again reminded of George Bernard Shaw's famous line:
What is the use of straining after an amiable view of things, when a cynical view is most likely to be the true one?
Cynicism of the motives of the government and politicians is, in my experience, never misplaced.

Anyhow, I would be only slightly buzzed had I played my version of the Inaugural Speech Drinking Game. I was counting on hope and change for the win, and that would have only got me 5 drinks. Of course, if I slam 5 shots of Knob Creek in a row, that'll probably do it. As I have things to do later on today, it's just not an option. Have one for me instead.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous fellow cynic said...

I love it when you're cynic as long as you're kind of cynic.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous fellow cynic said...

On second thought, I take back what I posted. You're not my kind of cynic.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home