2004/09/16

Time To Go Shopping

I haven't been shooting in a while (several years). I think that's going to have to change. I'm going to have to get off my ass and go buy an assault weapon and start going to the range. I'm also going to have to pick up a pistol or two and teach J to shoot. Then we can go apply for CCW permits. I was planning on doing all of these things at some point. After listening to the radio the past few days, the time appears to be now.

The expiration of the AWB prompted the morning radio host I listen to, a gentleman named Edd Hendee, to bloviate about the need for restrictions on certain types of weapons. I use the word bloviate advisedly, because the more I listened the more two things became quite apparent to me. Edd Hendee has absolutely no goddamned idea what the 2nd Amendment is, where it came from, and what the purpose of it was and still is. More damningly, he shows absolutely no desire to learn. He is so convinced of the righteousness and common-sense of his position that he is unwilling to consider the possibility he's wrong. If he did have a desire to learn, I could direct him to the information collected by Eugene Volokh as well as Professor Volokh's testimony before the Senate.

So some radio host has no clue. That's a big shock, right? Big deal. Well, yeah, in one respect it is a big deal. This is a very conservative guy on a highly conservative radio station in Houston, Texas. If he, and a number of the callers, are not willing to support the 2nd Amendment, who is? If the Republican Party has split on this issue, there's a problem. Mr. Hendee even got on the NRA for being unwilling to compromise, which is laughable to some people, myself included. The NRA is far too willing to make deals with the devil.

Of course, the possibility exists that maybe I don't see clearly. I may be in need of enlightenment. How, exactly, do you reach an acceptable compromise with people that think all privately owned firearms should be banned? What the compromise? Ban some? Then they come back and demand to ban more. You can't make deals with someone whose goal is complete destruction. You always lose, because any compromise advances their goal while doing nothing to advance your goal. Maybe you don't think the goal is the complete annihilation of your second amendment rights and the confiscation of all firearms.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it."

Who said that? Some gun control nut, right? True enough, with one unfortunate disclaimer. That nut happens to be Dianne Feinstein (D-Lunatic), a sitting Senator for the state of California, during an interview on 60 Minutes. How do you compromise with people who have this agenda? You can't, and that is what Mr. Hendee and so many others utterly fail to realize.

So I have to go shopping, because there's every possibility I may not get the chance if I wait too long. I screwed up by not buying more guns when I was in the Army. Then the ignorant scumbags in Congress passed the AWB. I'm not going to miss the chance again. If conservative Republicans in Texas have been hoodwinked, the rest of the country is probably in much worse shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home