2004/10/26

Books & Stuff

So I finished Hawkwood's Voyage on the plane to Vegas. I'll give it a 4 out of 5. Decent plot, not as much character development as I'd like, but things are moving along nicely. I'd like to read the rest of the series. Unfortunately for me, I have to special order the remaining books from Amazon. They are apparently out of stock and/or print. I'll make the perfunctory attempt to check a local B&N or Borders first, but then it's off to special order hell.

I also watched the Rammstein DVD while packing. Well, the actual music videos, anyway. Haven't gotten to the concert footage. Odd stuff. Fun, in that surreal way watching music videos is. It's even better when the vocals are a deep-voiced guy shouting guttural German. There's absolutely no connection to anything that way. Do the video images have some relation to the lyrics? I dunno. I have no idea what the hell he's saying, but who cares? It's entertaining nonetheless.

I get a lot of the same surrealism on Sunday mornings watching India Vision. Indian music videos! Yay! Once again, I have no idea what the frell is going on, but that diminishes my enjoyment of the process not at all. Actually, I tend to think if I understood them, it would be worse. The lyrics would probably be trite, predictable pop nonsense filtered through another culture. I'm better off not knowing. Besides, half the fun of India Vision is just watching the videos. They always seem to have the classic double standard going on: drop-dead gorgeous women and the men are just schmoes. The women spend all of their time walking or dancing away from the unattractive schlub pursuing them. Much like real life, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home