2005/10/28

Kill ‘Em All

So my trivia answer of the day: Abbot Arnaud Amaury. I’m sure you’re wondering what the question is now, aren’t you? Who was the guy who first coined the immortal phrase “Kill ‘em all and let God sort ‘em out”? I've already told you the answer. Actually, what he said was
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
For those of you not up on your Latin, this translates to “Kill them all! The Lord will recognize his own.” While not the exact wording popular in the modern era, the sentiment remains the same. The Abbot was a papal legate during the Crusade against the Albigensians during the early 13th century. His comment precipitated the massacre of the residents of Béziers. Isn’t history fun?

In other fun papal-related facts, did you know there was a Pope Cletus? I eagerly await a pope who chooses the regnal name of Bubba, although I am unaware of a saint with that name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home