2006/08/04

The Lynx Likes Links

So, my random thought of the day is to wonder if the browser Lynx is still extant in some sort of usable implication. I don’t think I’ve thought of the program in a good 10 years.

Huh. Apparently it’s still out there. It was updated as recently as May, if I read the timestamps correctly. I’m not sure why you’d want a text-only web browser, but just in case you do, there it is.

Well, there’s another irrelevant digression done, so back to the main topic, which is how to keep all your links current between your various and sundry locations. For those of us who work on different computers than we use at home, it’s always been an issue. I’ve been using deli.icio.us for a while. I was going to try to pinpoint how long, but apparently my oldest bookmark is December of 2004, which can’t possibly be right. For a while, I was editing the html code of a geocities page by hand to keep some links available to me globally without having to wrry about transferring bookmarks around. Both methods got to be a pain in the ass, especially when my jump drive had a major seizure. (Sony used some extraordinarily cheap glue to hold it together.) Shortly after that, somebody (Make magazine, maybe?) pointed me in the direction of this handy service. I have to admit, I use it almost exclusively now. I am a big fan of the service.

You keep all of your bookmarks on a web server and you can acccess them from anywhere. Instead of folders, you tag the items with keywords and can filter you bookmarks by tags. The tag filtering works with multiple layers of tags, so you can filter by several keywords and see what comes up. This is handy for scatter-brained types like me, but does require you to maintain some coherence in your labeling scheme. Of course, since it's your page, it only has to make sense to you. You can also add other people on del.icio.us to your network and send links back and forth.

Anyhow, you can import all your old browser bookmarks into your page and your categories/folders translate over as tags. You can also get toolbar buttons for Firefox and integrate the whole thing rather nicely into your browsing experience. All of this is simply but my clever introduction to the fact that I will soon be posting a link to my del.icio.us page on the sidebar. Feel free to add me to your network and send links my way. After all, it’s not like I can’t find enough ways to waste time on the ‘net without help. In the meantime, here’s a link to all the crap I look at on the Web. A lot of the links imported as not shared, so I’ll be updating some of those over the next while. Until then, there’s still plenty o’ stuff to browse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home