2004/09/03

Batter Fried Sausage

I broke down and fixed the batter-fried sausage for dinner last night. Fried food for dinner and politics on the TV. Ah, the wild life of excitement we lead here at YPS. Anyhow, the sausage turned out quite well. Just in case you're motivated to try it yourself, I'll share with you my secrets.

Beer batter:
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3/4 cup beer
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk in the wet ingredients until a smooth consistency is reached. (Works great for shrimp and mushrooms, too) The type of beer you use is going to have a marked effect on how the batter turns out. A cheap American swill (like say, Miller Lite) works pretty good. You may adjust the seasonings to something you prefer. This isn't hot, it just has enough cayenne to make you know something's there.

Take one sausage (kielbasa type, not breakfast links or patties) of whatever variety you prefer and cut into two inch pieces. I used a smoked garlic sausage from a local company. Dump the sausage chunks into the batter and let them soak for a bit. While that's going on, heat your oil up to 350 F. Once your oil gets hot, dump in your battered chunks. Give them about three minutes and they'll be nice and crispy and brown. Serve with condiments, like mustard or ranch dressing.
I also fried some extra batter to make little crispy bits. I accidentally made a fried batter ball in the process. I'm toying with the idea of trying to make a funnel cake with beer batter. I don't see why that wouldn't be good with a little mustard, kind of like a mutated fried pretzel. I need a good funnel for that, though, or one of those gadgets they sell on TV for funnel cake making. I also wonder if blanching the chunks for a minute or so to get a little of the grease out of them first might not be a bad idea. I could use up some of the leftover beer that way, too.

I'm thinking the fried sausage and the two Boddingtons I drank contributed to me falling asleep on J during Dubya's speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home